We run a number of out-patient clinics at our Hospices in Shrewsbury, Telford and Newtown. They are designed to help those who attend maintain their independence whilst accessing care from the Hospice. You can be referred to one of our clinics for a number of different reasons. It might be the most suitable way, or how you would prefer, to access our services. All of clinics are intended to provide advice to help our patients make decisions about their care whilst adapting safely to their changing circumstances.
You can be referred to any of our clinics by your GP, consultant or one of our Clinical Nurse Specialists. If you think you would benefit from attending one of our clinics please speak to your GP.
Our clinics include:
- Out-patients – We run regular consultant-led clinics at our sites in Shrewsbury, Telford and Newtown. Our out-patient clinic runs on a Wednesday morning in Shrewsbury, all day on a Wednesday in Telford, and alternate Tuesday and Wednesday mornings in Newtown. You will normally attend one of our out-patient clinics if you have been diagnosed with a progressive illness and need a little extra support to help control pain and other distressing symptoms.
- Motor Neurone Disease (MND) – Our MND clinic normally runs on the last two Thursdays of each month at our Hospice in Shrewsbury but you may be seen by the consultant at some other time either at the Hospice or at home. Our MND clinic provides advice on how to cope with your changing abilities and symptoms you may be experiencing as a result of your disease. We can provide psychological support for both patients and carers. We see patients at varying stages of the disease from those who have recently been diagnosed to those nearing the end of their life. Patients with MND form part of the increasing number of people our Hospice cares for who have not been diagnosed with cancer.
- Breathlessness – Our breathlessness clinic provides advice and symptom control for patients who have been diagnosed with primary or secondary lung cancer. We normally run our breathlessness clinic on a Monday and Tuesday at Shrewsbury and on a Friday in Telford but our trained staff may be able to arrange to see you at some other time if it is more appropriate.
- Lymphoedema – This clinic helps patients with Lymphoedema manage their condition by providing advice on controlling symptoms and treating affected areas. For new patients, our Lymphodema clinic normally runs on a Wednesday morning at our Hospice in Shrewsbury. Existing Hospice patients may be seen be seen on other days at other one of our other.
- Complementary Therapies – We currently run a complementary therapy clinic on a Wednesday at our Hospice in Shrewsbury. You can be referred to us solely for complementary therapy. Our trained therapists can provide a wide variety of treatments for patients attending the clinic aiding relaxation and relief from distressing symptoms.
Patients who attend one of our Day Hospices in Shrewsbury or Telford may be assessed and referred to our breathlessness or Lymphoedema clinics the same day they attend the Day Hospice.